Monday, May 2, 2011

From Seedlings to Leaflings

When I was younger, my mom would plant flowers every spring.
She would lay mulch, buy flowers, plant them, water them, and tend to them.
She would always ask if I wanted to help (or tell me to help). But, 90% of the time, I would say, "Nooooo, thank you!" and watch TV instead.
Wow, what a perfect little city kid!

I do wish I helped my mom more, not only because I would have actually learned something besides the way Danny cleans his vacuum cleaner with a portable vacuum cleaner and how Uncle Jesse does his hair, but because planting is such a wonderful experience. And it's wonderful to do this with another person.

I've really enjoyed planting from seed with my husband, and then eagerly waiting to see that first little bit of green peak up through the soil. It's incredibly satisfying and keeps me in awe of the Creator.

I started taking pictures of what we've planted, so I can remember the growth that happens.
Hopefully I'll keep it up, tracking the new life in my yard as well as in my spirit.



Mustard Greens, Rhubarb Chard, Multicolored Chard.


Endive, Tatsoi Greens, Asian Greens, after a few days.


Endive, Tatsoi Greens, Asian Greens, after a week or so.


Squash grows ridiculously quickly. Watermelon, Cayenne Pepper, Broccoli, Summer Squash.



Cilantro didn't do well last year, but when we were raking this little bed to prepare to plant, there was a cilantro plant completely under the soil that survived all winter!? (it's the plant in the background of the picture).



This is sage we grew from seed last summer.