Thursday, June 11, 2009

This land was his land.

Reading Woody Guthrie's autobiography, Bound for Glory. I would love to give a proper introduction, but I really don't know what to say. I think it speaks for itself. But I will say he amazes me. I wish I could be as real as he was.
His words from Chapter XI, "Boy in Search of Something:"

A picture--you buy it once, and it bothers you for forty years; but with a song, you sing it out, and it soaks in people's ears and they all jump up and down and sing it with you, and then when you quit singing it, it's gone, and you get a job singing it again. On top of that, you can sing out what you think. You can tell tales of all kinds to put your idea across to the other fellow.

And there on the Texas plains right in the dead center of the dust bowl, with the oil boom over and the wheat blowed out and the hard-working people just stumbling about, bothered with mortgages, debts, bills, sickness, worries of every blowing kind, I seen there was plenty to make up songs about.

Some people liked me, hated me, walked with me, walked over me, jeered me, cheered me, rooted me and hooted me, and before long I was invited in and booted out of every public place of entertainment in that country. But I decided that songs was a music and a language of all tongues.

I never did make up many songs about the cow trails or the moon skipping through the sky, but at first it was funny songs of what all's wrong, and how it turned out good or bad. Then I got a little braver and made up songs telling what I thought was wrong and how to make it right, songs that said what everybody in that country was thinking.

And this has held me ever since.


-Woody Guthrie

1 comment:

way said...

wow. i have to read this book. it sounds wonderful. i miss you audrey. i might possibly see you this weekend.